Archer, S. C., Green, M. & Huxley, J. (2010). Association between milk yield and serial locomotion score assessments in UK dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 93(9), 4045-4053.
Beam, S. & Butler, W. (1999). Effects of energy balance on follicular development and first ovulation in postpartum dairy cows. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. Supplement, 54, 411-424.
Bell, A.W. (1995). Regulation of organic nutrient metabolism during transition from late pregnancy to early lactation. Journal of Animal Science, 73(9), 2804-2819.
Bonczek, R., Young, C., Wheaton, J. & Miller, K. (1988). Responses of somatotropin, insulin, prolactin, and thyroxine to selection for milk yield in Holsteins. Journal of Dairy Science, 71(9), 2470-2479.
Brettenthaler, N., De Geyter, C., Huber, P. R. & Keller, U. (2004). Effect of the insulin sensitizer pioglitazone on insulin resistance, hyperandrogenism, and ovulatory dysfunction in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 89(8), 3835-3840.
Butler, S. T., Marr, A., Pelton, S., Radcliff, R., Lucy, M. C. & Butler, W. (2003). Insulin restores GH responsiveness during lactation-induced negative energy balance in dairy cattle: effects on expression of IGF-I and GH receptor 1A. Journal of Endocrinology, 176(2), 205-217.
Butler, W. (1998). Review: Effect of protein nutrition on ovarian and uterine physiology in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 81(9), 2533-2539.
Cui, Y., Miyoshi, K., Claudio, E., Siebenlist, U. K., Gonzalez, F. J., Flaws, J., Wagner, K. U. & Hennighausen, L. (2002). Loss of the peroxisome proliferation-activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) does not affect mammary development and propensity for tumor formation but leads to reduced fertility. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 277(20), 17830-17835.
Darwash, A., Lamming, G. & Wooliams, J. (1997). The phenotypic association between the interval to post-partum ovulation and traditional measures of fertility in dairy cattle. Animal Science, 65(01), 9-16.
10. Esposito, G., Irons, P. C., Webb, E. C. & Chapwanya, A. (2013). Interactions between negative energy balance, metabolic diseases, uterine health and immune response in transition dairy cows. Animal Reproduction Science, 144(3-4), 60-71.
11. Forman, B. M., Tontonoz, P., Chen, J., Brun, R. P., Spiegelman, B. M. & Evans, R. M. (1995). 15-Deoxy-delta 12, 14-prostaglandin J2 is a ligand for the adipocyte determination factor PPAR gamma. Cell, 83(5), 803-812.
12. Froment, P., Fabre, S., Dupont, J., Pisselet, C., Chesneau, D., Staels, B. & Monget, P. (2003). Expression and functional role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ in ovarian folliculogenesis in the sheep. Biology of Reproduction, 69(5), 1665-1674.
13. Froment, P., Gizard, F., Defever, D., Staels, B., Dupont, J. & Monget, P. (2006). Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in reproductive tissues: from gametogenesis to parturition. Journal of Endocrinology, 189(2), 199-209.
14. Gong, J., Lee, W., Garnsworthy, P. & Webb, R. (2002). Effect of dietary-induced increases in circulating insulin concentrations during the early postpartum period on reproductive function in dairy cows. Reproduction, 123(3), 419-427.
15. Gutierrez, C. G., Campbell, B. K. & Webb, R. (1997). Development of a long-term bovine granulosa cell culture system: induction and maintenance of estradiol production, response to follicle-stimulating hormone, and morphological characteristics. Biology of Reproduction, 56(3), 608-616.
16. Kelton, D. F., Lissemore, K. D. & Martin, R. E. (1998). Recommendations for recording and calculating the incidence of selected clinical diseases of dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 81(9), 2502-2509.
17. Komar, C. M., Braissant, O., Wahli, W. & Curry Jr, T. E. (2001). Expression and localization of PPARs in the rat ovary during follicular development and the periovulatory period. Endocrinology, 142(11), 4831-4838.
18. Kushibiki, S., Hodate, K., Shingu, H., Ueda, Y., Shinoda, M., Mori, Y., Itoh, T. & Yokomizo, Y. (2001). Insulin resistance induced in dairy steers by tumor necrosis factor alpha is partially reversed by 2, 4–thiazolidinedione. Domestic Animal Endocrinology, 21(1), 25-37.
19. Lucy, M. (2004). Mechanisms linking the somatotrophic axis with insulin: Lesson from the postpartum dairy cow. Proceeding of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production, 64, 19-23.
20. Lucy, M., Staples, C., Thatcher, W., Erickson, P., Cleale, R., Firkins, J., Clark, J., Murphy, M. & Brodie, B. (1992). Influence of diet composition, dry-matter intake, milk production and energy balance on time of post-partum ovulation and fertility in dairy cows. Animal Production, 54(03), 323-331.
21. Mary, L. & Ram, S.M. (2009). Initiation of the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPAR gamma) in the rat ovary and the role of FSH. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 7(145)1-8.
22. Miyoshi, S., Pate, J. & Palmquist, D. (2001). Effects of propylene glycol drenching on energy balance, plasma glucose, plasma insulin, ovarian function and conception in dairy cows. Animal Reproduction Science, 68(1-2), 29-43.
23. Morimoto, S., Cerbon, M. A., Alvarez-Alvarez, A., Romero-Navarro, G. & Díaz-Sánchez, V. (2001). Insulin gene expression pattern in rat pancreas during the estrous cycle. Life Sciences, 68(26), 2979-2985.
24. Mulligan, F. & Doherty, M. (2008). Production diseases of the transition cow. The Veterinary Journal, 176(1), 3-9.
25. NRC-National Research Council, Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle, seventh revised ed. (2001). National Academic Press, Washington, DC, USA.
26. Radcliff, R., McCormack, B., Crooker, B. & Lucy, M. (2003). Plasma hormones and expression of growth hormone receptor and iInsulin-like growth factor-I mRNA in hepatic tissue of periparturient dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 86(12), 3920-3926.
27. Revelo, X. & Waldron, M. (2010). Effects of in vitro insulin and 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on the function of neutrophils harvested from blood of cows in different physiological states. Journal of Dairy Science, 93(9), 3990-4005.
28. Schillo, K. K. (1992). Effects of dietary energy on control of luteinizing hormone secretion in cattle and sheep. Journal of Animal Science, 70(4), 1271-1282.
29. Schoenberg, K., Perfield, K., Farney, J., Bradford, B., Boisclair, Y. & Overton, T. (2011). Effects of prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on insulin sensitivity, plasma concentrations of tumor necrosis factor-α and leptin, and adipose tissue gene expression. Journal of Dairy Science, 94(11), 5523-5532.
30. Sheldon, I. & Dobson, H. (2004). Postpartum uterine health in cattle. Animal Reproduction Science, 82, 295-306.
31. Sheldon, I. M., Lewis, G. S., LeBlanc, S. & Gilbert, R. O. (2006). Defining postpartum uterine disease in cattle. Theriogenology, 65(8), 1516-1530.
32. Smith, K., Butler, W. & Overton, T. (2009). Effects of prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on metabolism and performance in transition dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 92(8), 3623-3633.
33. Smith, K., Stebulis, S., Waldron, M. & Overton, T. (2007). Prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione alters metabolic dynamics and dry matter intake of dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 90(8), 3660-3670.
34. Spicer, L. & Echternkamp, S. (1995). The ovarian insulin and insulin-like growth factor system with an emphasis on domestic animals. Domestic Animal Endocrinology, 12(3), 223-245.
35. Staples, C., Thatcher, W. & Clark, J. (1990). Relationship between ovarian activity and energy status during the early postpartum period of high producing dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 73(4), 938-947.
36. Tang, T., Norman, R. J., Balen, A. H. & Lord, J. M. (2008). Insulin‐sensitising drugs (metformin, troglitazone, rosiglitazone, pioglitazone, D‐chiro‐inositol) for polycystic ovary syndrome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 36(5), 2015-2026.
37. Vanholder, T., Leroy, J., Dewulf, J., Duchateau, L., Coryn, M., Kruif, A. & Opsomer, G. (2005). Hormonal and metabolic profiles of high‐yielding dairy cows prior to ovarian cyst formation or first ovulation post partum. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 40(5), 460-467.
38. Zerbe, H., Schneider, N., Leibold, W., Wensing, T., Kruip, T. & Schuberth, H. (2000). Altered functional and immunophenotypical properties of neutrophilic granulocytes in postpartum cows associated with fatty liver. Theriogenology, 54(5), 771-786.