عنوان مقاله [English]
The aim of the present study was to determine the effect of dietary supplementation of pioglitazone (PGT) during transition period on the ovarian function and the incidence of several diseases after parturition. Eighty Holstein cows were randomly allocatted to four treatment groups (n=20) using a 2×2 factorial design. Pioglitazone was fed for 14 day before the expected parturition time, or for 21 days after parturition, or furing both pre- and post-partum period. The cows received either 0 or 6 mg PGT/kg live weight. Data on the incidence of production diseases (laminitis, mastitis, cystic ovaries, infected uterus and inactive ovaries) and the day of ovulation were recorded and analyzed using the GENMOD and GLM procedures of SAS. Postpartum supplementation of PGT decreased the mean days to ovulation (P<0.02). The percentage of cows which ovulated during 14 DIM was significantly increased when PGT was supplemented postpartum (P<0.03). PGT supplementation during prepartum (p<0.01) and postpartum (P<0.10) periods decreased laminitis. Prepartum PGT supplementation had no significant effect on mastitis incidence. Prepartum (P<0.03) and postpartum (P<0.08) PGT supplementation resulted in decreased uterine infections. Postpartum PGT supplementation significantly decreased the proportion of cystic cows (P<0.04). PGT had no significant effect on the percentage of cows with inactive ovaries (P>0.05). In conclusion, supplementation of PGT during transition period in dairy cows may be beneficial in decreasing the incidence of some postpartum diseases, and may enhance ovarian cyclicity after parturition.
10. Esposito, G., Irons, P. C., Webb, E. C. & Chapwanya, A. (2013). Interactions between negative energy balance, metabolic diseases, uterine health and immune response in transition dairy cows. Animal Reproduction Science, 144(3-4), 60-71.
11. Forman, B. M., Tontonoz, P., Chen, J., Brun, R. P., Spiegelman, B. M. & Evans, R. M. (1995). 15-Deoxy-delta 12, 14-prostaglandin J2 is a ligand for the adipocyte determination factor PPAR gamma. Cell, 83(5), 803-812.
12. Froment, P., Fabre, S., Dupont, J., Pisselet, C., Chesneau, D., Staels, B. & Monget, P. (2003). Expression and functional role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ in ovarian folliculogenesis in the sheep. Biology of Reproduction, 69(5), 1665-1674.
13. Froment, P., Gizard, F., Defever, D., Staels, B., Dupont, J. & Monget, P. (2006). Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in reproductive tissues: from gametogenesis to parturition. Journal of Endocrinology, 189(2), 199-209.
14. Gong, J., Lee, W., Garnsworthy, P. & Webb, R. (2002). Effect of dietary-induced increases in circulating insulin concentrations during the early postpartum period on reproductive function in dairy cows. Reproduction, 123(3), 419-427.
15. Gutierrez, C. G., Campbell, B. K. & Webb, R. (1997). Development of a long-term bovine granulosa cell culture system: induction and maintenance of estradiol production, response to follicle-stimulating hormone, and morphological characteristics. Biology of Reproduction, 56(3), 608-616.
16. Kelton, D. F., Lissemore, K. D. & Martin, R. E. (1998). Recommendations for recording and calculating the incidence of selected clinical diseases of dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 81(9), 2502-2509.
17. Komar, C. M., Braissant, O., Wahli, W. & Curry Jr, T. E. (2001). Expression and localization of PPARs in the rat ovary during follicular development and the periovulatory period. Endocrinology, 142(11), 4831-4838.
18. Kushibiki, S., Hodate, K., Shingu, H., Ueda, Y., Shinoda, M., Mori, Y., Itoh, T. & Yokomizo, Y. (2001). Insulin resistance induced in dairy steers by tumor necrosis factor alpha is partially reversed by 2, 4–thiazolidinedione. Domestic Animal Endocrinology, 21(1), 25-37.
19. Lucy, M. (2004). Mechanisms linking the somatotrophic axis with insulin: Lesson from the postpartum dairy cow. Proceeding of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production, 64, 19-23.
20. Lucy, M., Staples, C., Thatcher, W., Erickson, P., Cleale, R., Firkins, J., Clark, J., Murphy, M. & Brodie, B. (1992). Influence of diet composition, dry-matter intake, milk production and energy balance on time of post-partum ovulation and fertility in dairy cows. Animal Production, 54(03), 323-331.
21. Mary, L. & Ram, S.M. (2009). Initiation of the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPAR gamma) in the rat ovary and the role of FSH. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 7(145)1-8.
22. Miyoshi, S., Pate, J. & Palmquist, D. (2001). Effects of propylene glycol drenching on energy balance, plasma glucose, plasma insulin, ovarian function and conception in dairy cows. Animal Reproduction Science, 68(1-2), 29-43.
23. Morimoto, S., Cerbon, M. A., Alvarez-Alvarez, A., Romero-Navarro, G. & Díaz-Sánchez, V. (2001). Insulin gene expression pattern in rat pancreas during the estrous cycle. Life Sciences, 68(26), 2979-2985.
24. Mulligan, F. & Doherty, M. (2008). Production diseases of the transition cow. The Veterinary Journal, 176(1), 3-9.
25. NRC-National Research Council, Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle, seventh revised ed. (2001). National Academic Press, Washington, DC, USA.
26. Radcliff, R., McCormack, B., Crooker, B. & Lucy, M. (2003). Plasma hormones and expression of growth hormone receptor and iInsulin-like growth factor-I mRNA in hepatic tissue of periparturient dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 86(12), 3920-3926.
27. Revelo, X. & Waldron, M. (2010). Effects of in vitro insulin and 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on the function of neutrophils harvested from blood of cows in different physiological states. Journal of Dairy Science, 93(9), 3990-4005.
28. Schillo, K. K. (1992). Effects of dietary energy on control of luteinizing hormone secretion in cattle and sheep. Journal of Animal Science, 70(4), 1271-1282.
29. Schoenberg, K., Perfield, K., Farney, J., Bradford, B., Boisclair, Y. & Overton, T. (2011). Effects of prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on insulin sensitivity, plasma concentrations of tumor necrosis factor-α and leptin, and adipose tissue gene expression. Journal of Dairy Science, 94(11), 5523-5532.
30. Sheldon, I. & Dobson, H. (2004). Postpartum uterine health in cattle. Animal Reproduction Science, 82, 295-306.
31. Sheldon, I. M., Lewis, G. S., LeBlanc, S. & Gilbert, R. O. (2006). Defining postpartum uterine disease in cattle. Theriogenology, 65(8), 1516-1530.
32. Smith, K., Butler, W. & Overton, T. (2009). Effects of prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione on metabolism and performance in transition dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 92(8), 3623-3633.
33. Smith, K., Stebulis, S., Waldron, M. & Overton, T. (2007). Prepartum 2, 4-thiazolidinedione alters metabolic dynamics and dry matter intake of dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 90(8), 3660-3670.
34. Spicer, L. & Echternkamp, S. (1995). The ovarian insulin and insulin-like growth factor system with an emphasis on domestic animals. Domestic Animal Endocrinology, 12(3), 223-245.
35. Staples, C., Thatcher, W. & Clark, J. (1990). Relationship between ovarian activity and energy status during the early postpartum period of high producing dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 73(4), 938-947.
36. Tang, T., Norman, R. J., Balen, A. H. & Lord, J. M. (2008). Insulin‐sensitising drugs (metformin, troglitazone, rosiglitazone, pioglitazone, D‐chiro‐inositol) for polycystic ovary syndrome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 36(5), 2015-2026.
37. Vanholder, T., Leroy, J., Dewulf, J., Duchateau, L., Coryn, M., Kruif, A. & Opsomer, G. (2005). Hormonal and metabolic profiles of high‐yielding dairy cows prior to ovarian cyst formation or first ovulation post partum. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 40(5), 460-467.
38. Zerbe, H., Schneider, N., Leibold, W., Wensing, T., Kruip, T. & Schuberth, H. (2000). Altered functional and immunophenotypical properties of neutrophilic granulocytes in postpartum cows associated with fatty liver. Theriogenology, 54(5), 771-786.