Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Professor, Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
The aim of this research was to determine effects of different toxin adsorbents on the amount of Diazinon residues and effectiveness of these additives on ruminal parameters and some blood metabolites in Mohabadi lactating goats fed with high white grape pomace-based diets (27.71%). In this study, 20 lactating goats with 50±5 kg body weight were used in a completely randomized design with 4 treatments and 5 replications. Experimental treatments included diets containing: 1- White grape pomace without toxin adsorbent or control group 2- Grape pomace processed with Mycofix-Plus toxin adsorbent 3- Grape pomace processed with Bio-Tox toxin adsorbent 4- Grape pomace processed with Bio-Acid toxin adsorbent. Adding adsorbent compounds of toxins to diets with high levels of grape pomace reduced the amount of Diazinon in the diet (P˂0.05), so the highest amount of Diazinon in control treatment (4.08 mg/kg) and the lowest amount of toxin was observed in treatment group treated with Bio-Tox supplement (0.67 mg/kg). As a result of adding different toxin adsorbents there was an increase in the amount of dry matter intake (DMI), rumen N-NH3, total VFA, propionic acid, glucose and urea concentration (P˂0.05). Adsorbents did not have a significant effect on the Rumen protozoa population (p>0.05). Adding different adsorbents reduced Non-esterified fatty acids (p<0.05). There was not any significant difference among the investigated groups in terms of the concentration of β-hydroxybutyrate (BHBA), total protein and albumin as a result of adsorbent use (p>0.05). As a conclusion, the amount of the adsorbent and deactivating compounds of toxins in diets with high levels of grape pomace reduced the amount of Diazinon and improved feed intake, rumenal and blood parameters in Mahabadi's lactating goats.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. )2000(. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., Arlington, VA.
- Aazami, M. H., Tahmasbi, A. M., Forouhar, V. & Naserian, A. A. (2017). Effects of Sodium Bentonite on Blood Parameters, Feed Digestibility and Rumen Fermentation Parameters of Male Balouchi Sheep Fed Diet Contaminated by Diazinon, an Organophosphate Pesticide. Iranian journal of Applied Animal Science, 7(3), 421-428.
- Bonnechere, A., Hanot, V., Jolie, R., Hendrickx, M., Bragard, C. & Bedoret, T. (2012). Effect of household and industrial processing on levels of five pesticide residues and two degradation products in spinach. Food Control, 25, 397-406.
- Broderick, G. A. & Kang, J. H. (1980). Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. Journal of Dairy Science, 63, 64-75.
- Cengiz, M. F., Certel, M. & Gocmen, H. (2006). Residue contents of DDVP (Dichlorvos) and diazinon applied on cucumbers grown in greenhouses and their reduction by duration of a pre-harvest interval and post-harvest culinary applications. Food Chemistry, 98, 127-135.
- Chegeni, A., Li, Y., Deng, K., Jiang, C. & Diao, Q. (2013). Effect of dietary polymer-coated urea and sodium ben-tonite on digestibility, rumen fermentation, and microbial protein yield in sheep fed high levels of corn stalk. Livestock Science, 157(1), 141-150.
- Chen, H., He, X., Rong, X., Chen, W., Cai, P., Liang, W., Li, S. & Huang, Q. (2009). Adsorption and biodegradation of carbaryl on montmorillonite, kaolinite and goethite. Appl. Applied Clay Science, 46, 102-108.
- Cook, R. M. & Wilson, K. A. (1971). Removal of Pesticide Residues from Dairy Cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 54, 712-8.
- Daneshvar, N., Aber, S., Khani, A. & Rasoulifard, M. H. (2007). Investigation of adsorption kinetics and isotherms of imidacloprid as a pollutant from aqueous solution by adsorption onto industrial granular activated carbon. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, 5, 425-429.
- Debski, B., Kania, B. F. & Kuryl, T. (2007). Transformations of diazinon, an organop-hosphate compound in the environment and poisoning by this compound. Ekológia. 26(1), 68.
- Dehority, B. A. (2003). Rumen Microbiology. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, UK.
- EFSA Panel on Additives and Products or Substances used in Animal Feed. (2011). Scientific Opinion on the safety and efficacy of bentonite (dioctahedralmontmorillonite) as feed additive for all species. European Food Safety Authority Journal, 9(2), 1-24.
- Eisenhour, D. D. & Brown, R. K. (2009). Bentonite and its impact on modern life. Elements, 5(2), 83-88.
- FASS. (2010). Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Agricultural Research and Teaching. 3rd rev. ed. Federation of Animal Sciences Societies Savoy, IL.
- Gaworecki, K. M. & Klaine, S. J. (2008). Behavioral and biochemical responses of hybrid striped bass during and after fluoxetine exposure. Aquatic Toxicology, 88, 207-213.
- Ghanem, G. H. A. (1995). Additives in feeding farm animals. Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Agriculture, Kafr El-Sheikh, Tanta University, pp: 143-148.
- Golghasem gharehbagh, A. (2017). Investigation of the effects of different processing methods and feed additives on patulin and pesticides residues concentration on apple pomace and its effects on ruminal fermentation and fermentative parameters in vitro, milk yield and composition and some of the blood metabolites in Mohabadi lactating does. Ph.D. thesis. Urmia University.
- Greeballah, H., Obeid, E. L., Faisal, A., Nabil, H. & Bashir, H. (2005). In vitro effects of some insecticides on rumen fluid fermentation. Journal of Agricultural Science, 3, 80 - 89.
- Hirosawa, N., Ueyama, J., Kondo, T., Kamijima, M., Takagi, K., Fujinaka, S., Hirate, A., Hasegawa, T. & Wakusawa, S. (2011). Effect of DDVP on urinary excretion levels of pyrethroid metabolite 3-phenoxybenzoic acid in rats. Toxicology Letters, 203, 28-32.
- Hua, W., Bennett, E. R. & Letcher, R. J. (2006). Ozone treatment and the depletion of detectable pharmaceuticals and atrazine herbicide in drinking water sourced from the upper Detroit River, Ontario, Canada. Water Research, 40, 2259-2266.
- Ivan, M., Neill, L., Alimon, R. & Jalaludin, S. (2001). Effects of bentonite on rumen fermentation and duodenal flow of dietary components in sheep fed palm kernel cake by-product. Journal of Animal Feed Science and Technology, 92(1), 127-135.
- Jadhav, K. B. & Rajini, P. S. (2009). Evaluation of sublethal effects of dichlorvos upon Caenorhabditis elegans based on a set of end points of toxicity. Journal of Biochemical and molecular Toxicology, 23, 9-17.
- Jouany, J. P. (1994). Manipulation of microbial activity in the rumen. Archives of Animal Nutrition, 46, 133-153.
- Kamath, V. & Rajini, P. S. (2007). Altered glucose homeostasis and oxidative impairment in pancreas of rats subjected to dimethoate intoxication. Journal of Toxicology, 231, 137-146.
- Kazemi, M., Eskandary, A., Tahmasbi, A. M., Valizadeh, R. & Naserian, A. A. (2017). Effects of phosalone consumption via feeding with or without sodium bentonite on performance, blood metabolites and its transition to milk of Iranian Baluchi sheep. Journal of Animal Science and Technology, 59, 10
- Kazemi, M., Tahmasbi, A. M., Valizadeh, R., Naserian, A. A. & Eskandary Torbaghan, A. (2017). Laboratory evaluation of phosalone and diazinon on fermentation parameters and some rumen microbial population. Journal of Ruminant Research, 5(2), 71-84. (in Farsi)
- Kazemi, M., Tahmasbi, A. M., Valizadeh, R., Naserian, A. A. & Sonei, A. (2013). Toxicological effects of diazinon as an organophosphate pesticide on fermentation activity of microorganisms and evaluation of sodium bentonite as a toxin binder by using the in vitro batch culture. Journal of Agriculture and Food Science, (4), 52-58.
- Kazemi, M. (2012). Effects of organophosphate pesticides via feeding with or without sodium bentonite on performance, blood metabolites and its transition to milk. Ph.D. thesis. Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
- Kiyothong, K., Rowlinson, P., Wanapat, M. & Khampa, S. (2012). Effect of mycotoxin deactivator product supplementation on dairy cows. Animal Production Science, 52, 832-841.
- Kovac, G., Reichel, P., Seidel, H. & Mudron, P. (1998). Effects of sorbents during organophosphate intoxication in sheep. Czech Journal of Animal Science, 43, 3-7.
- Lotti, M. (1995). Cholinesterase inhibition: complexities in interpretation. Clinical Chemistry, 41(12), 1814-1818.
- Lukstadt, C. (2014). Acidifiers in Animal Nutrition: A Guide for Feed Preservation and Acidification to Promote Animal Performance. Published in: Technology, Business, and Nottingham University Press.
- Malato, S., Blanco, J., Richter, C., Milow, B. & Maldonado, M. (1999). Solar photocatalytic mineralization of commercial pesticides: methamidophos. Chemosphere, 38, 1145-1156.
- Moretto, A. & Johnson, M. (1987). Toxicology of organophosphates and carbamates. (PP. 33-48.). In Toxicology of Pesticides. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Moschini, M., Gallo, A., Piva, G. & Masoero, F. (2008). The effects of rumen fluid on the in vitro aflatoxin binding capacity of different sequestering agents and in vivo release of the sequestered toxin. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 147, 292-309.
- Nag, S. K. & Raikwar, M. K. (2011). Persistent organochlorine pesticide residues in animal feed. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 174, 327-35.
- Nag, S. K., Mahanta, S. K., Raikwar, M. K. & Bhadoria, B. K. (2007). Residues in milk and production performance of goats following the intake of a pesticide (endosulfan). Small Ruminant Research, 67, 235-42.
- Nemati, Z., Janmohammadi, H., Taghizadeh, A., Maleki Nejad, H. & Mogaddam, G. H. (2015). Effect of Bentonite as a natural adsorbent to ameliorate the adverse effects of aflatoxin B1 on performance and immune systems in broiler chicks. Animal Production Research, 4, 67-7
- NRC. (2007). Nutrient Requirements of Small Ruminants: Sheep, Goats, Cervids, and New World Camelids. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Ottenstein, D. M. & Batler, D. A. (1971). Improved gas chromatography separation of free acids C2-C5 in dilute solution. Analytical Chemistry, 43, 952-955.
- Overton, T. R. & Waldron, M. R. (2004). Nutritional management of transition dairy cows: strategies to optimize metabolic health. Journal of Dairy Science, 87, 105-119.
- Park, M., GBlitzer, E. J., Gibbs, J., Losey, J. E. & Danforth B. N. (2015). Negative effects of pesticides on wild bee communities can be buffered by landscape context. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 282, 20150299.
- Proskocil, B. J., Bruun, D. A., Thompson, C. M., Fryer, A. & Lein, P. (2010). Organophosphorus pesticides decrease M2 muscarinic receptor function in guinea pig airway nerves via indirect mechanisms. PLoS One, 5, 10562.
- Rumsey, T., Williams, E. & Evans, A. (1975). Tissue residues, performance and ruminal and blood character-ristics of steers fed ronnel and activated carbon. Journal of Animal Science, 40, 743-749.
- Saleh, M. S. & Bonf, A. B. (2000). Bentonite supplementation to concentrate for lactating buffaloes. Egyptian Journal of Nutrition and Feeds, 6, 67-78.
- Sandhu, H. S. & Singh, T. J. (2002). Toxicological effects of monocrotophos on micro-organisms in the rumen of Bubalus bubalis. Toxicology Letters, 48(3), 243-248.
- Sano, H. H., Sawada, A., Takenami, S. Oda. & Al-Mamun, M. (2006). Effects of dietary energy intake and cold exposure on kinetics of plasma glucose metabolism in sheep. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 91, 1-5.
- Schipper, P. N., Vissers, M. J. & Van Der Linden, A. M. (2008). Pesticides in groundwater and drinking water wells: overview of the situation in the Netherlands. Water Science and Technology, 57(8), 1277-1286.
- Tripathi, M. K., Mondal, D. & Karim, S. A. (2008). Growth, haematology, blood constitue-nts and immunological status of lambs fed graded levels of animal feed grade damaged wheat as substitute of maize. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 92, 75-85.
- Walz, L. S., White, T. W., Fernandez, J. M., Gentry, L. R., Blouin, D. C., Froetschel, M. A., Brown, T. F., Lupton, C. J. & Chapa, A. M. (1998). Effects of fish meal and sodium bentonite on daily gain, wool growth, carcass characteristics, and ruminal and blood characteristics of lambs fed concentrate diets. Journal of Animal Science, 76, 25-31.
- Van Soest, P.J., Robertson, J. B. & Lewis, B. A. (1991). Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nonstarch polysacharides in relation to animal nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science, 74, 3583-35970.