Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. Student, Department of Animal Science, University College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj
Professor, Department of Animal Science, University College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Associate Professors, Department of Animal Science, University College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran
Professor, Department of Animal Biotechnology, Graduate School of Bio. & Technology, Hankyong National University
Diacylglycerol acyltransferase1 (DGAT1) is a key enzyme in synthesis of triglycerides. A transition mutation resulting substitution of guanine by adenine in DGAT1 gene and substitution of lysine by alanine in diacylglycerol-acyltransferase enzyme in cattle has a major effect on milk yield and milk composition traits. In this research, the polymorphism of the region spanning exon 3 to exon 17 of the DGAT1 gene of three indigenous Iranian buffalo populations was investigated. A total number of samples of 200 buffaloes (Khuzestani, Shomali and Azari) were collected to extract DNA and the desired fragments were amplified by polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Genotyping was performed using direct sequencing and analyzed by BioEdit software. Sequence analysis showed novel SNPs in comparative to the reference sequence GenBank (DQ886485) at nucleotide positions g.6097A>G, g.7036C>T, g.7338G>A, g.7710C>T, g.8087C>T, g.8259G>A, g.8275G>A and g.8426C>T of DGAT1 gene in buffalo populations. A comparison with Indian buffalo revealed three exonic SNPs, one of which was non-synonymous. A Unique 22 base insertion has been observed in the intron 10. The results described here genetic diversity and could be useful in genetic and breeding programs in Iranian buffalo.
- Alinaghizadeh, R., Mohammad Abadi, M.R. & Moradnasab Badrabadi, Sh. (2007). Kappa-casein gene study in Iranian Sistani cattle breed (Bos indicus) using PCR-RFLP. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 10(23), 4291-4294.
- Angiolillo, A., Amills, M., Urrutia, B., Domenech, A., Sastre, Y., Badaoui, B. & Jordana, J. (2007). Identification of a single nucleotide polymorphism at intron 16 of the caprine acyl-coenzymeA: Diacylglycerolacyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) gene. Journal of Dairy Research, 74, 47-51.
- Anonymous. Statistical Center of Iran (2012). Available from: http://www.amar.org.ir/.
- Borghese, A. (2005). Buffalo International Organizations. Buffalo production and research, 297.
- Bovenhuis, H. & Schrooten, C. (2002). Quantitative trait loci for milk production trait in dairy cattle. In: Proceedings of the 7th World Congress on Genetics applied to Livestock Production, Montpellier, France.
- Grisart, B., Coppieters, W., Farnir, F., Karim, L., Ford, C., Berzi, P., Cambisano, N., Mni, M., Reid, S., Simon, P., Spelman, R., Georges, M. & Snell, R. (2002). Positional candidate cloning of a QTL in dairy cattle: identification of a missense mutation in the bovine DGAT1 gene with major effect on milk yield and composition. Genome Research, 12, 222-231.
- Heydarian, D., Miraei-Ashtiani, S. R. & Sadeghi, M. (2014). Study on DGAT1-exon8 Polymorphism in Iranian Buffalo. International Journal of Advanced Biological and Biomedical Research, 2(7), 2276-2282.
- Javanmard, A., Mohammadabadi, M.R., Zarrigabayi, G.E., Gharahedaghi, A.A., Nassiry, M.R., Javadmansh, A., Asadzadeh, N. (2008). Polymorphism within the intron region of the bovine leptin gene in Iranian Sarabi cattle (Iranian Bos taurus). Russian Journal of Genetics, 44(4), 495-497.
- Kharrati Koopaei, H., Mohammad Abadi, M.R., Ansari Mahyari, S., Esmailizadeh Koshkoiyeh, A., Tarang, A.R., Potki, P. (2012). Effect of DGAT1 variants on milk composition traits in Iranian Holstein cattle population. Animal Science Papers and Reports, 3, 231-239.
- Kharrati Koopaei, H., Mohammad Abadi, M.R., Ansari Mahyari, S., Esmailizadeh Koshkoiyeh, A., Tarang, A.R., Nikbakhti, M. (2011). Genetic Variation of DGAT1 Gene and its Association with Milk Production in Iranian Holstein Cattle Breed Population. Iranian Journal of Animal Science Research, 3, 185-192. (in Farsi)
- Mao, Y., Chen, R., Chang, L., Chen, Y. & Ji, D. (2012). Effects of SCD1-and DGAT1-genes on production traits of Chinese Holstein cows located in the Delta Region of Yangtze River. Livestock Science, 145, 280-286.
- Mishra, B., Tantia, M. S., Kumar, S. T. B. & Vijh, R. K. (2007). Characterization of the DGAT1gene in the Indian buffalo (Bubalusbubalis). Genetics and Molecular Biology, 30, 1097-1100.
- Mohammadi, A., Nassiry, M.R., Mosafer, J., Mohammadabadi, M.R., Sulimova, G.E. (2009). Distribution of BoLA-DRB3 allelic frequencies and identification of a new allele in the Iranian cattle breed Sistani (Bos indicus). Russian journal of genetics, 45(2), 198-202.
- Naderfard, H. R. & Qanemy, A. W. (1997). Buffalo breeding in Islamic Republic of Iran. In: Proceedings of 5th World Buffalo Congress, Caserta, Italy.
- Nei, M. (1977). F-statistics and analysis of gene diversity in subdivided populations. Annals of Human Genetics London. 41, 225-233.
- Ozdil, F. & Ilhan, F. (2012). DGAT1-exon8 polymorphism in Anatolian buffalo. Livestock Science, 149, 83-87.
- Pimentel, E. C. G., Erbe1, M., König, S. & Simianer, H. (2011). Genome partitioning of genetic variation for milk production and composition traits in Holstein cattle. Frontiers in Genetics, 2, 1-11.
- Rahmaninia, J. (2015) Population structure analysis within Iranian buffalo breeds using dense SNP markers. PhD Thesis in Animal Breeding and Genetics, Dept. Animal Science, University of Tehran.
- Raut, A. A., Kumar, A., Kala, S. N., Chhokar, V. & Rana, N. (2012). Identification of novel single nucleotide polymorphisms in the DGAT1 gene of buffaloes by PCR-SSCP. Genetics and Molecular Biology, 35, 610-613.
- Riquet, J., Coppieters, W., Cambisano, N., Arranz, J. J., Berzi, P., Davis, S. K., Grisart, B., Farnir, F., Karim, L., Mni, M., Simon, P., Taylor, J. F., Vanmanshoven, P., Wagenaar, D., Womack, J. E. & Georges, M. (1999). Fine-mapping of quantitative trait loci by identity by descent in outbreed populations: application to milk production in dairy cattle. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 16, 9252–9257.
- Ruzina, M.N., Shtyfurko, T.A., Mohammadabadi, M.R., Gendzhieva, O.B., Tsedev, T., Sulimova, G.E. (2010). Polymorphism of the BoLA-DRB3 gene in the Mongolian, Kalmyk, and Yakut cattle breeds. Russian journal of genetics, 46 (4), 456-463.
- Spelman, R. J., Ford, C. A., McElhinney, P., Gregory, G. C. & Snell, R. G. (2002). Characterization of the DGAT1 gene in the New Zealand dairy population. Journal of Dairy Science, 85, 3514-3517.
- Tantia, M. S., Vijh, R. K., Mishra, B. P., Mishra, B., Kumar, B. ST. & Sodhi, M. (2006). DGAT1 and ABCG2 polymorphism in Indian cattle (Bos indicus) and buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) breeds. Bio Med Central Veterinary Research, 2, 32.
- Thaller, G., Kramer, W. & Winter, A. (2003). Effects of DGAT1 variants on milk production traits in German cattle breeds. Journal of Animal Science, 81, 1911-1918.
- Venkatachalapathy, R. T., Sharma, A., Battacharta, T. K. & Sukla, S. (2013). Single nucleotide polymorphism in DGAT1 locus of Indian cattle and buffalo breeds. Animal Genetic Division, 3, 68-71.
- Weller, J. I., Golik, M., Seroussi, E., Ezra, E. & Ron, M. (2003). Populationwide analysis of a QTL affecting milk-fat production inthe Israeli Holstein population. Journal of Dairy Science, 86, 2219-2227.
- Winter, A., Kramer, W., Werner, F. A. O., Kollers, S., Kata, S., Durstewitz, G., Buitkamp, J., Womack, J. E., Thaller, G. & Fries, R. (2002). Assotion of a lysine-232/alanine polymorphism in a bovine gene encoding acyl coA:diacylglycerolacyltransferase (DGAT1) with variation at a quantitative trait locus for milk fat content. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 99, 9300-9505.
- Xu, Q. L., Chen, Y. L., Ma, R. X. & Xue, P. (2009). Polymorphism of DGAT1 associated with intramuscular fat-mediated tenderness in sheep. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 89(2), 232-237.
- Yuan, J., Zhou, J., Deng, X., Hu, X. & Li, N. (2007). Molecular cloning and single nucleotide polymorphism detection of buffalo DGAT1 gene. Biochemical Genetic, 45, 611-621.